• To understand the processes and procedures of general accounting functions
• To acquire the skills necessary to perform and oversee general accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries, etc.
• To understand the documentation and approval process for grant reporting
• To obtain experience with professional correspondence office etiquette
• To learn how to navigate and utilize QuickBooks, donor database software, and other electronic data capture systems
• To enhance the understanding of Microsoft programs including Excel, Word, Outlook, and Teams in a business setting
• To acquire the skills necessary to perform research of accounting issues, specifically non-profit and single audit related accounting issues
Overview of Responsibilities & Expectation
• Enter transactions in QuickBooks (bills, invoices, receipts, deposits, journal entries, etc.)
• Reconcile bills to appropriate supporting documentation including approvals, invoices, receipts, and/or research patient visit records, as applicable
• Organize and maintain paper and electronic files of invoices, checks, bank statements, etc.
• Assist with preparation of Organization reporting and filing requirements including sales tax returns, annual report, IRS Form 990, etc. (as applicable during internship period)
• Review expense reimbursements and other purchases for accuracy and compliance with policies & procedures
• Follow up on past due receivables
• Reconcile or assist in reconciling bank statements, credit card statements, and subsidiary ledgers (including prepaid expenses, deferred revenue, fixed assets, depreciation schedules, accrued expenses, notes payable, etc.)
• Assist with preparation of and entering of overhead allocation adjustments
• Prepare and analyze budget to actual reports
• Prepare documentation for grant reporting requirements
• Document processes and controls
• Identify weaknesses and recommendations to improve processes and controls
Time Commitment (Days/Hours)
• Flexible, minimum of 12 hours per week; prefer two days in office (6+ hours per day).